Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ten Years Ago and Today

 
 

   




Ten years ago I had 4 boys in my living room on any given Saturday afternoon.  They were 11, 7, 4, and 3.  My house was full of Legos, hot wheels and dinosaurs. Kids were sword fighting with paper towel tubes and hunting tigers behind my sofa.  We've seen entire cities build of Legos, raging wars between dinosaur heards, and boobie trapped forts strewn across the yard.  Ten years ago my biggest fear was someone getting hurt physically.  My biggest frustration was stepping on sharp little Legos in my bare feet and the boys jumping off the furniture.  My biggest joy was watching the boys together, bonded as a family unit no matter what they were playing.









                              

Today it's Saturday 10 years later.  The boys are not home, they are all off with friends or working.  Today I have two little girls playing in my living room.  They are 5 and 8.  Instead of Legos, Hot Wheels, and Dinosaurs; I have Barbies, Polly Pockets, and Princesses all over the house.  Today I see a fashion show on the sofa, a tea party in the corner and a castle under the dining room table.   Today my biggest fear is someone getting hurt emotionally, my biggest frustration is sassy tone in a voice and stepping on sharp little Barbie shoes in my bare feet.  Today my biggest joy is watching my two little girls play together, bonded as a family unit no matter what they are playing. 

             

Life is different in may ways today from 10 years ago, yet in many more ways it's still the same.  I feel so blessed to be able to have these experiences as a mom, both ten years ago and today.  Ten years from now my kids will be 31, 27, 24, 23, 18, and 15. I wonder what my living room will be full of then... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment